Thursday, May 19, 2005

mixed blessings

I know that this is going to sound dumb to some people who read this for several reasons.

1. It isn't the end of the world and it isn't fatal.
2. I was warned. Albeit, I thought the phrase "There is a chance that in the future Katrina might develop asthma" meant like in a couple of years, not a couple of months.

As everyone knows she is just getting over pneumonia. I decided to follow up with her allergist, who is one of the best in the country, a former pediatrician, and has a specialty dealing with asthma. Basically, I didn't feel her allergy medications were working and I wanted something new.

We talked about it for a little bit and he didn't seem overly concerned.

Then he listened to her lungs.

He said, "You made a wise decision in bringing her in to me as soon as you did. It's what we feared would happen. She has asthma and we're going to have to start treating it more aggressively."

She is already on breathing treatments as needed. We generally do around 3 or 4 times a week.

Now she has a new medicine that she has to get via the nebulizer twice a day.

I guess my big problem is that this is her entire life. I try not to treat her differently or let anyone else treat her differently but it's hard when she's always sick. She has been sick since the day we brought her home from the hospital. I just can't imagine living a life that way.

On the other hand. She is still my little blessing and my little miracle child, the baby I was never supposed to be able to have. And if that means that we're going to have to struggle a little more, if that's the price I have to pay for such an incredible gift as my daughter than that isn't too high a price. I just wish I could pay that price all myself and she wouldn't have to bear any of it.

How much can a 3 year old take?

3 Comments:

At 5/19/2005 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

/hugs. Sorry that things are all happening to Kat. I know this sounds bad, but girl a three year old can handle more than we think they can. they are stronger than most of us adults. She sounds like such a sweetie and she doesn't deserve to go thru all of this. She's had it so tough, but it seems like she is just still doing her best to remain a happy child, and she IS a blessing. She seems to be such a darling(tho I'm sure like all kids she has her moments lol). Kyler was diagnosed with asthma when he was almost 6 months old. he was on just two different inhalers for the first few months, and I had to put a mask on his face to give it to him. then, it started to get worse. He had to go on the nebulizer as well. he was 9 months old. and on it two times a day. And I remember that feeling, the helpless one. the one where you feel so bad, want to make them better, and how frustrating it is that all youcan do is hold her hand and hug her and be there for her. But I think that matters a lot to a child, even at three years old. Good news is, sometimes when a child gets asthma young, they CAN grow out of it.Kyler hasnt had his inhaler in a year now. I keep on one hand just in case tho. He went from constant attacks, to getting better.And it IS hard to treat them the same as other kids. Because you worry constantly about it harming them. Bringing on an attack.It's easy to worry about.Kids, they are tough, like are resilent,and braver than we give them credit for. I wish there was something I could do to help, and if you ever need to talk, I will always be willing to listen, even tho I don't always say the right thing( I know I'm not doing a good job of sayng the right thing right now.)But I can listen.
I'mglad you followed up on it tho. A lot of parents couldn't be bothered to. or wouldn't be so intune to their child, that they would realize that it's not working right. Your a great mom.
Kat's a miracle. your right, haivng her makes it worth it. She may have it touch, but she's here, she's with you and les, and she's a wonderful, bright little girl. that makes it allworth it as you already know. Your doing great.
/hugs. I wish you the best of luck. And Kat too. Maybe this new treatment will help her more than expected.Help her stay healthier.
Love you
XXXXXXXXX

 
At 5/21/2005 1:40 AM, Blogger LilithAniamos said...

Sandra,

You're wrong. You do know how to say all the right things. *huge gigantic hugs*

Thanks.

Your thoughtfulness and insight was just what I needed.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you!!!

-Niki

 
At 5/21/2005 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess its more, sometimes you know you what you want to say, but you can't think of the words to use.I do that quite often. I speak from experience or from the heart but worry afterwords that I haven't use the proper words or said what it was I meant to say.
I'm glad that it helped though. I kow how tough being a mom can sometimes be, especially when it feels like your strength is being tested .. in the form of your child's health etc. But like has been said, she's your miracle baby .. all children are. their pressence in our lives is a precious gift. she's the product, the symbol of your love with les. and she's a darling.
She and you, and Les are going to come thru this and find yourselves stronger people. Asthma can be scary, but with proper medication, and as she grows, teaching her to learn her limits, she can have a "normal" childhood. (is there really such a thing lol).
I think you're handling this so much better than some would, because of your strength, your optimistic attitude and your outlook on life. And, with any luck, as she grows up, Kat will adopt th same attitude as her mom, and will handle life as it comes:o)
Anyways, I thought i'd say hi again and remind you how terrific I think you are:o)
miss you!
/huggles
*tag*
p.s. im me anytime i've got the "eye" clicked;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home